Monday, September 6, 2010

Work and Home

Some pictures from work and from the hotel I lived in...

I worked out a deal with the guys there to eat with them. The meal always consisted of rice, daal (lentils), and a vegetable (usually eggplant, okra, potato, cauliflower, or bitter gourd). When eating in the hotel, I ate with my hands, as is still common in many homes and restaurants. I actually enjoyed eating with my hands. We always get to taste, smell, and see our food, but rarely do we get a tactile experience as well.


View from the hotel window


Guys who worked in the hotel



This is on my daily walk to work. This neighborhood (Lower Parel) is traditionally a lot of industrial buildings (mostly textile mills), but is now being gentrified with lots of high end condos going in. After my train ride, I walked through this alley...


....past this park...


...through this narrow passageway...



...and through this warehouse...


...before finally arriving at my office. After the walk, my office place was truly like worlds colliding. The office was indistinguishable from any office in the U.S. After walking through an urban jungle, I arrived in an air conditioned, cubicled office place. What a trip.

My coworkers, Vig and Tahira


Akshay, Jeremy, and Prajna


and Me, Akshay and Jeremy



1 comment:

  1. Matt, I've really enjoyed reading about your time in India! Also, I still wear my Jaguares shirt, too!

    ReplyDelete